Sunday, April 12, 2015

March 23, 2015

Mom,

This week has been good. I am excited for this week though because the work is going to pick up. I know I said mike was supposed to be back in town this last week, but he is moving in april and had to travel some more this week. But we do have a set appointment with him tomorrow, so it will be good to get back in contact with him. This past week was good. The dentist was nice. So Geri got home this last week, but we haven't been able to teach her because while she was out of town, she got really sick and might possibly be having surgery, so hopefully she gets better soon. I can't wait to start teaching her again once she does get better. Esther didn't make it to church this week because she has come down with something and is really sick to :/. So it's been a slower week. With the restored teaching method (how to teach pmg) and the short, frequent lessons every other day, it opens up a lot of time when some of the people you regularly see are completely out of it. But Hector is still doing great. I still can't believe how far he has come. We have been practicing baptismal interviews with him and reviewing the gospel principles that he needs to know to pass the interview, and he's ready. It's one of the greatest miracles I have seen on my mission. An 80 year old man who has a really bad memory (he doesn't even remember our names) has felt the spirit as he has gone to church, he has learned to pray on his own, and he can remember the principles of the gospel that we have taught him with the help of the holy ghost. It's all about our desires. Out of all the people I have ever met, Hector has one of the greatest hearts. He is so kind and loving towards his neighbors and friends, and his desire to do the right thing is so strong. It was strong right from the beginning. But I was worried that we wouldn't ever see him remember a single gospel principle. But now he can pass the baptismal interview with ease, and he loves how he feels as he comes to church each week. His baptism is this saturday, so that will be sweet.I also got to go on exchange with Elder Gailey this week. I went to Endicott while his companion Elder Wing went and worked in Owego with Elder Kunzler. Endicott is sweet. It reminded me a lot of Scotia. Since I've been in 2 rural areas for so long now, I've forgotten what it is like to be in the cities and suburbs. I love rural areas, but one nice thing about city and urban areas is you can just walk around and talk to people on the streets. I seriously think I saw more people out on the streets that one day in Endicott with Elder Gailey than I do usually in a whole week in Newark Valley. Haha. We got to teach their investigator john. He's really sweet. He knows the church is true and everything, he just needs to quit smoking and he will be baptized! Then Elder Gaily and I went to the Ross family for dinner. Man they are so sweet. Their whole family likes Zelda, Adventure Time, and Harry Potter. So I had a blast talking with all of them! They also had a little chihuaha that was full of energy and peed when visitors were there. Elder Gaily got peed on and they washed his sweater for him during dinner. It was so funny! Haha. Thankfully I didn't get peed on. I made didn't let the dog hop on me or over me at first when it was all excited and running around. We also had stake conference this weekend. It was really good. There were a lot of good talks on conversion and serving others. I have to admit though, my first stake conference with Elder Clayton Christensen (the guy who wrote the power of everyday missionaries) coming and speaking was awesome. Elder Christensen's talk was one of the best talks I have ever heard in person. It snowed a couple of times again this week. Hopefully it will warm up and stay warm! It isn't too bad though. Not January/February cold. Also steve mercer came to church! That's the first time he has come while I have been here. So that was a huge miracle. We didn't even realize he had come because he sat at the very back during stake conference and left as soon as the meeting was over to beat the traffic! Haha. Sounds like you guys had a great time at the cabin! Love you all and hope you all have a great week!

Elder Richins

No comments:

Post a Comment