Monday, May 19, 2014

Spring is Here!


Spring is finally here in NYUM!
BAPTISM!!! Elder Richins, Whitney and Elder Koyle 



Mom,

How exciting it is to hear about all the things going on back home. I'm glad that you are all enjoying studying PMG. This week was an adventure. So, our phone broke, and it was hard. Elder Koyle and I quickly realized how much we use the phone to call investigators, less-actives, and members. So we had fewer lessons this week. Oh well. We just got our new phone today, and there are 19 voicemails on it. Which is crazy. Whitney did get baptized this week, which was awesome. It was my privilege to confirm her a member of the church. I was quite nervous, but just like all other priesthood blessings I have given since leaving on my mission, the words just came to me after I laid my hands on her head. It is such a testimony builder to me to see how real the authority and power of the priesthood is. That's exciting, and I hope she continues to grow in the gospel. Some more news...So last week with the email about the new district and everything, that's changed as of a few days ago. Last week after that email was sent, we were informed that Sisters are indeed coming back to the area today. So our district goes back to what it used to be. Elder Koyle and myself in Scotia, the new Sisters in Glenville, and Elder Summers and Tidd in Schenectady. We do get a car full time though. Elder Koyle and I are very happy about that. There are enough cars around that the sisters are coming back with their own car. It looks like spring is finally in full force here, and I will send pictures today. One thing that I learned this week in PMG is found in chapter 10 on teaching skills, Listening. As missionaries it is critical to listen to people, because when we listen to people, we show them that we truly care about them, and they are willing to open up and share their true feelings about the gospel with us. I also had a very cool experience teaching Marlene (Less-active lady we have been teaching who has now been coming regularly for at least 2 months, maybe more). We taught her the Word of Wisdom, and she smokes, but has a sincere desire to quit. She was told the day before by her Doctor that it would be good if she could quit for her upcoming operation on her back in a few weeks. She told us it is so weird how at this particular time, we chose to teach her the Word of Wisdom and encourage her to quit right after that Doctor appointment. She then said it was like we have "A sixth-sense, because you always teach me something that helps me with my situation and whatever is going on in my life at the time." It is so cool to see how much God loves his Children, and how real the spirit is in missionary work. Have a great week mom. I love you and I will talk to you next week!!

Ty

PS. Tell Jacob congratulations on his call!!


Dad,
Haha. Go Rangers!!! I'm glad that you and everyone had a great mother's day. And we have a key to the Sister's apartment, so we stayed there whenever we worked in Clifton Park. But Elder Koyle and I found out last week after I emailed you all that the sister's are coming back, so we are going back to covering our old area. Whitney's baptism went great. Elder Koyle and I boiled water in big metal pots before the service to warm the water up because the water doesn't stay hot very long for the building's baptismal font. Other than that, the service was awesome. She was so happy. I gave a talk Sunday in addition to confirming Whitney on the Book of Mormon. I got a lot of compliments on it. I told them about the time you and I went to the Sacred grove and how I just knew when visiting there that Joseph Smith is a prophet and the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Have a great week Dad!! Love you and I miss you and our family. Take care.

Ty

PS How Ironic would it be if the Rangers won the cup this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment