Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 21st!

Mom,
This week has been great. I did get the package you sent last Friday. (I know you wanted to know what day I got it.) I loved it too. The new ties are awesome, and the candy is good too. There is nothing like Reese's Peanut butter eggs. Jeff and Connor do want my letters forwarded to them. And I can write one for the newsletter or you could just use one of the ones I send. Whatever works. There isn't anything I need from the distribution center. This week was great. We had zone conference on Tuesday, and we learned about a new teaching method put out by the Church Missionary Department. It keeps lessons a bit shorter and involves the investigators and less actives we teach more, and it is awesome. It helps us more effectively apply principles in Preach My Gospel and become more powerful teachers. Elder Koyle and I used it when we taught Dave. Dave has been an investigator since I got to Scotia, and we have been trying to figure out how to help him keep commitments. We got the new teaching method, and Elder Koyle and I just started over with him with this new method, and it was awesome. The spirit was so strong, and he felt it! As a result, he is starting to keep commitments and is thinking about baptism, even though he hasn't agreed to a date yet, but it's a start. Since Elder Koyle and I are now covering the whole Glenville ward (not just part of it like when the sisters were here), and Schenectady, things are as busy as ever. We are working with Whitney, the sister's investigator who has a baptismal date. The sister's only taught her like once or twice. We're actually planning on teaching her the plan of salvation next, so that puzzle is awesome for visuals. She seemed fine with having us teach her, and she's way solid like Hannah. She actually is dating a less-active member, and she tries to get him to come to our lessons and reads scriptures with him, so she is already doing missionary work!! Haha. The work is going great. We are going to stop by a part member family who just moved into the ward, and the members of the family who are members of the church are less-active, but from what we have heard from the ward, they are very open. There's another member new to the ward who's going to college and has 3 non-member roomates who he wants to introduce to us. I don't know if you remember the experience I told you about with the Stevens family, it was like the first two weeks of my mission. But we are now working with them which is awesome.  Elder Slaughter left so now it's just Elder Flaherty and Summers again. Elder Slaughter went to Corning, because Elder Johnson had to go home for Medical reasons...But he said he's coming back out, which is good to hear. Hope you and the family are excited to dive into Preach My Gospel. It helps us understand how we can all share the good news of the gospel with the people around us. As for your talk, the gospel changes lives in so many ways. As one prophet put it "It helps bad people become good, and good people become better."There are stories in the scriptures that show this principle, such as Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah. They changed from wicked men destroying and persecuting the church, to some of the most effective and powerful missionaries. That's just one example. I loved Easter. It is so great to remember the Savior and what we can do because of him. I love that video on lds.org "Because of Him". It was put up for Easter, and I love what the Savior has done for each of us. Glad to hear the family is doing well. I love you mom, and hope you have a great week.


Sincerely, 
Ty

PS I do get to call on Mother's day, but I don't think I can skype and the call is probably shorter than the one on Christmas, but that's just what I think, I'm not positive.

My District


Hey Emily,
This week was great. Since the Glenville sisters are gone, Elder Koyle and I had an adventure and stayed one of the nights at their apartment. It's our "Glenville Cabin." The work is going great here. That sounds like a good day of school. Haha. Easter was good. Elder Koyle and I got two meals (lunch and dinner) and had Ham Gravy. It was salty, but very good. Love you little sister, and hope you have a great week!!

Glenville "Cabin"


No comments:

Post a Comment