Monday, January 13, 2014

January Pics and Letters

Collins Lake by my apartment





Mom,

I haven't even used the hand warmers yet actually because we have a car and I'm in one of the warmest areas of the mission. I'm saving the handwarmers if I get transferred in February to Potsdam or something. Collins Lake (the lake with the pictures) is about the size of willow pond and is right across the street from our apartment.  We had a few lessons this last week. We are teaching two part member families where the members in both families are inactive, so we are really excited about that. If we convert or re convert all of them, we will have 3 reactivations and 2 baptisms, which is what we are praying for. We are also teaching an inactive member who was once endowed but fell away, but she really wants to come back to church and get back to the temple this year. That's her new years resolution. We teach her about once a week on splits, and I taught her with Brother Brooksby this last week. It went really well and I invited her to pray and read her scriptures everyday, which she agreed to do. We are also probably going to pick up 2 or 3 new investigators this week. One is a referral we are teaching on Tuesday, and the other two have actually already been taught by the Schenectady elders since they are in Schenectady, but they are in the tiny part of Schenectady that is in our area. I'm still being trained by Elder Johnson, training lasts for new missionaries first 2 transfers, which is twelve weeks. Glad to know you got the SD cards safely, and only send the one 2 gb one back since the 1 gb is useless. As for your lesson, just remember that Jesus Christ is everything to us. We would have no hope without him, no forgivness, no chance of redemption. I have two scriptures that I really love about the Savior - One is where it is talking about his atonement, Alma 7:11-12. I also love St John 15:13-14 (I think) which tells us how we can be a friend to the Savior. The next transfers are on February 19th, so I'm in Scotia at least until then. 

Hope everything is going well at home. Hope the kids and dogs are doing well. Love you mom!!!

Elder Richins


Christmas with the Olsens!

 Me reading with President Wirthlin holding a mic at return and report, a special training in Utica that new missionaries and their trainers go to during their first transfer together. It was cool to see my MTC district again. 


Hey,
So we have an investigator who has been keeping me up to date with all the football. Sounds like the SEC's reign is over for the moment. My niners are still in there too haha. Anyway, this week was great. I can't believe that today already marks 2 months since we parted. Time truly flies when one is having fun. It has been so cool to come out here and see how much Heavenly Father loves each of his children. With every investigator or less active member we teach, there's always something that either Elder Johnson or I have experienced that makes us able to relate to them and touch their hearts. I know that this area (Scotia/Schenectady), is where the Lord wants us right now. It was sad to see Elder Gittins leave, but the brand new missionary Elder Summers is way cool too. He's going to fit in just fine. As for this week, it's been more like Utah weather in how much it has changed. Last Monday thru Wednesday it probably didn't get above 25 degrees. Tuesday was the coldest, with a high of 9 and constant wind chill that made it feel like -20ish. And since that was the day before transfers, Elder Gittins got to do his tour (a missionary tour is where a missionary who is leaving for transfers goes all around his area and says good bye to all the people he has met and goes and sees all the sites he hasn't seen). Elder Gittins wanted to go walk out on Collins lake, which is right across the street from our apartment in Scotia. It was so cold with the wind and everything. The work is really picking up here though. We had 8 lessons last week, and we already have 7 planned for this week with 3 people we still haven't contacted yet. Anyway, I love you Dad. I'll talk to you next week. 

Elder Richins




No comments:

Post a Comment